Sunday, July 23, 2006

Done and out! (02/24/06)

Hi everyone!
IOM loved the images, I was a bit nervous since no one saw a single shot until I delivered them all. Apparently every one was thrilled! It’s always nice to hear good things about your work but its even better when it comes from different places! So far it’s been all praise, from Geneva, Colombo, Manila and DC! Everyone is happy. Thus I am happy.
I have one more thing to shoot for IOM and that’s on Monday and I leave Tuesday night so I decided to take the weekend and see some things. I am heading up to Kandy in the hills for a night and as long as I can find my GAF at 2 am I will climb up the stairs, rocks and whatever to Adams Peak. Fabled to be the place where Adam was created, also its supposed to be where Buddha left his footprint on the way to teach across the world, OR if your Hindu then the footprint is from Shiva. Either way for a four hour accent and the reputed most unbelievable sunrise anywhere, there better be a footprint up there from someone. Every tuk tuk driver and average person I have met no matter where they are from has promised I would not make the hike and regret it.
Sounds good to me. I am sick of Colombo anyway.
Last night though proved to be the exception, yesterday was the Buddhist full moon holiday called Poya, once a year there are two main parade/celebration/ritual/procession one in Kandy and the other here in Colombo. It is called a Perahera.
It was something else. Dancers, drummers, acrobat masked elephants…yes the elephants had masks but since I am so astute I still realized what they were. The whole procession is led by Buddhist monks carrying relics and statues, drummers, the make their way into a temple just out in the lake, then bring it back out and around the lake. Doesn’t sound like much but between the elephants, dancers, whip cracking, explosions, (a local photographer asked me If I knew what that signal meant? I said “yes, get down” he laughed and said normally yes but today it means its time to start, “oh its time to start getting down, insert a little dance with cameras on and FINALLY a joke that went over with the locals! Sad huh?) And rows upon rows of monks…it was pretty wild. I was told that this years would be remarkably small since the temple had given most of its money for the Tsunami, the “small” one lasted an hour and a half. The one in Kandy goes for Four hours or more. That’s a lot of cleverly disguised elephants.
I have very little time today and have a lot to do.
Take care
David

sorry this one is so loose and sloppy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home